Tuesday, January 4, 2011

New Years Reflections...

I’m not going to lie to you, this year has been one heck of a rollercoaster…

January 14th, my sister Madey was diagnosed with Ewing’s Sarcoma, a bone cancer. That day, our lives turned upside down. And since then, it hasn’t quit spinning. The battle with cancer has become a part of our lives that we’ll never forget and will affect how we live each and every day.
We learned a lot of things. We learned to be flexible. We learned to rely on each other more than we ever felt we had to in the past. We learned to love more than we thought possible.

In the midst of all the chaos, April 24th, my dad and I ran a 5k that was held to raise funds to help my parents pay for Madey’s cancer treatments. We are forever thankful for everyone that put it together and for everyone that came. It made a huge difference in our lives.
As the year continued, things kept changing, kept moving forward.

In June, I met this boy that I fell in love with. Then, in July, we got engaged. It was awesome :]
I moved to Logan. It may only be an hour but it is so far away from my family! I can hardly stand it. Going to visit is such an affair that sometimes I get frustrated with it. Someday we’ll get to move close to them again. I’m excited for that day.

Then, in December, we got married. [See previous posts. haha] and that was the best day of my life.

Now, as we’re in January again, I’m reminded of everything that’s happened in the last year, and almost exactly one year ago. Wow. Our fight isn’t over and we continue to live, to love, to laugh, to serve others, and to feel of the Spirit of Christ in our lives everyday….

As I’ve grown up and had different experiences, I’ve learned a lot about life, and what’s really important. It’s not about the fact that we still don’t have a vacuum, [thank you heather and phil for letting us borrow yours until we get one!], it’s not about the homework, or the hours put in at work, or the paychecks, or the lack of friends once you get married [it’s a little like we fell off the planet…]. It’s about family, eternal families to be exact. Cameron and I began our own eternal family on the 18th of December. And before that, both of our parents did so 20-something years ago. We will always be a part of an eternal family, together forever. That fact gives me so much strength, so much hope, so much peace. Please, hold your loved ones close, and never miss a moment. Never forget the time you’ve spent together. Always show that love that you hold in your heart. Make sure they know you love them always. Because that’s what really matters.

“We all have a little chicken inside us..but we all have a little lion inside us, too.”

Don’t let the chicken keep you from being brave, and doing something worthwhile.

Live each day to the fullest.

Be the very best you possibly can be.

Love with your whole heart.

1 comment: