Friday, November 30, 2012

decorating for the holidays.

this last weekend, cameron was a peach and set up the christmas tree for us.
2 of our light strands were out so we had to make a late-night trip to shopko to buy new ones.
[sidenote: does anyone else feel like shopko & kmart smell super weird?]
he also let me buy some cute new christmas colored sprinkles. he is so good to me.

he fixed the lights and then i started fluffing the branches.


by the time i was done, cameron had a headache and had gone to bed.
so i admired our tree in the dark for a minute before heading to bed myself.

the next day, we spoke in church. both of our families came up to hear us speak.
i cried.
but it was good. it was a good reminder for me that i need to go to the temple more often.

afterwards, my family had to skedaddle back home so hillary could return to provo. boo.
and cam's family came over for lunch.

cam's mom, christine, and younger brother, parker, helped me add all of my glittery red & gold ornaments.
[target clearance after christmas. best way to go.]


i love them because they reflect so much light and
they make the tree look even more fascinating than it already was.

one of my favorite things to do during this season is to turn off all the lights in the house except for the tree.
then i just sit and watch it.
it gives off such a warm, cozy glow that i can't get enough of.
to me, it is christmas.
it is comforting.
it is peaceful.
and peace is something i could use a lot more of in my life.


"When we have the spirit of Christmas, we remember Him whose birth we commemorate at this season of the year: “For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord” (Luke 2:11).
In our day the spirit of giving gifts plays a large role in commemorating the Christmas season. I wonder if we might profit by asking ourselves, What gifts would the Lord have me give to Him or to others at this precious season of the year?

May I suggest that our Heavenly Father would want each of us to render to Him and to His Son the gift of obedience. I also feel that He would ask us to give of ourselves and not be selfish or greedy or quarrelsome...

In this marvelous dispensation of the fulness of times, our opportunities to love and give of ourselves are indeed limitless, but they are also perishable. Today there are hearts to gladden, kind words to say, deeds to be done, and souls to be saved."

-President Thomas S. Monson
December 2012 Ensign

No comments:

Post a Comment