Friday, July 5, 2013

happy 4th of july!

This year, we had the 3rd and 4th off from work so we packed up the car, picked up some friends, and headed to Island Park for 2 days.

My Uncle Jim has a beautiful cabin that he lets us use that's about 30 minutes from West Yellowstone. It is amazing!

We spent some time checking out this tiny little cabin a German immigrant built in the 1930's named John Sacks. He was only 4'11'' so all the doorways inside are pretty tiny... We also looked for giant fish at Big Springs [but there weren't any.. it was weird]. 

Right as Cam got bit by a deer fly...

There are normally HUGE fish here, but there weren't any that we could see.

Then we decided to go into Yellowstone for a couple of hours.

This is the Firehole River. Its decently warm because of all the hot springs that contribute to it.

Michelle on the left, me on the right. Wading. :)

Firehole Falls

Mama and a baby bison!
We waded in Firehole River and checked out Firehold Falls. I love how warm the water is. A lot of people actually go swimming there and if we had known, we totally would have brought our suits!

Then we visited some stinky paint pots. I really dislike the steam from these, especially when the breeze blows it right at your face. It's humid, hot, and smelly. Gross. But they are really beautiful.

This bright orange comes from the bacteria that live in the hot pots. Don't mind the shadows. haha

Cam said this is his favorite hot pot in all of Yellowstone because of how blue it is.

Another view without my handsome man in front of it.

Ryan, Michelle, and Cameron had never seen Old Faithful erupt before so we went there to wait. We only had to wait about 25 minutes or so, which wasn't too bad at all. It is pretty cool. It's even more fun to listen to all the people that have never seen it before "ooh" and "aah."

We then grilled some hot dogs in the woods for dinner. I was a little nervous that a bear would smell our food and try to eat us the whole time, but it was fun!

We wandered around part of West Yellowstone and pondered souvenirs. Like these amazing bison hats that made me feel Russian. Awesome.

My family came up to the cabin later that night. We hung out, chatted about our day, and the part where I locked the keys to the cabin inside it. Oops. Thank you to whoever forgot to close a window so that we could pop out the screen and I could climb through it.

The next day, we spent most of the day floating down the river in our sweet canoes while my family fished from a rowboat.

Michelle sang us some Pocahontas and America songs while we canoed.

It kind of looks like we're canoeing into the bushes, but we're not.
There's an inlet that we paddled up in hopes of finding a moose or 5.
No success.
But we do have sexy arms from paddling upstream for so long.

It kind of looks like they're all ready to fall out... But they caught 9 fish! Family record!

This beautiful moose was drinking and eating the bushes along the edge of the river.
I LOVE moose! Isn't she beautiful?
  I am sufficiently sunburned but it was a blast! There is just something about being in the water all day that is so exciting but just drains all the energy right out of you.
And even though it's tiring,
we can't help but want to come back for more...
We ate sandwiches for dinner and headed home since Cameron, Ryan, and I all had to work today. We took the scenic byway and stopped at the Lower Mesa Falls to pee and stretch our legs.

On the way home, we stopped to buy more water and treats and witnessed several different fireworks shows. 
It made it okay that we didn't have one of our own.
 Happy 4th of July!

No comments:

Post a Comment