Friday, July 26, 2013

MOAB

Cameron and I were able to take a few days off and go on a little vacation. We had planned on leaving Saturday but had some hiccups with our trailer brakes so we didn't end up leaving until Sunday morning.

On our way, we stopped at the Manti temple and had a picnic. I'd never been to Manti before and it was absolutely beautiful!

 

We made it to Moab later that evening, set up camp, and went for a drive in Arches National Park to see what we could before it got dark. If you've never been, I recommend it. I have never seen anything like it in my entire life. It's amazing.
 

The next morning, we slept in, ate breakfast and decided to do a little off-roading to a place called Gemini Bridges. The trail wasn't nearly as washed out as I was afraid it would be [long off-road adventures make me car-sick] and it was really fun! These natural, rock bridges, span a really deep canyon. You can't drive over them because too many people have tried and died.. Yikes.. But you can walk right up to the edge and look down. It's really neat! It kind of made us dizzy looking down at the canyon below us, but it was just so amazing to even realize that all of this was made by water... Accident? I think not.

 
 
 
Afterwards, we were driving back and were almost back to the highway when I smelled gas. Not really a good thing. So Cam climbed out and looked under the truck. Sure enough, it was dripping. So we took it to a shop in town and had them look at it while we walked in 100 degree heat to a nearby Maverik. We drank our water, bought some frozen yogurt, and waited. We made our way back to the shop and discovered that it was going to be very expensive to fix our truck. On vacation. I was not a happy girl. We went back to our campsite and ate lunch while we tried to figure out what to do. We needed to get it repaired since a fuel leak is never a good thing and we can't really just buy a new truck these days... but it was still a really hard pill to swallow.

To try and help me feel better, Cam put me in the car and drove me back to Arches. We spent the rest of the afternoon/evening driving around looking at all the really impressive rock formations formed by wind, water, and earthquakes. It was the perfect way to get my mind off of things and the truck did fine. As long as we didn't sit in the car with it idling, we couldn't smell any gas and if we did, we just got out and went for a little walk. Arches is fairly small, you can definitely see everything there is to see in 1 day, which was perfect.

the 3 gossips
 
balanced rock

 
 
 
 
 
sand dune arch

 
 
skyview arch

 
the rock that fell out of skyview arch in the 1940s that made it twice the size it was originally

 
 
Once the sun began to set, we made our way to the trailhead for Delicate Arch and hiked the 1.7 miles up the side of a mountain to see what all the fuss was about. It was a harder hike that took some time and a lot of water. There are several points where you think "ok, it has got to be just over this ridge" and then it isn't which make it very disappointing for a moment. Then, when you turn that final corner and its right there in front of you, all those hard climbs and disappointing moments are definitely worth every step.
 
 
  
Some people say that seeing Delicate Arch is a spiritual experience for them, or a life-changing moment. When I first looked up at that gigantic arch, I felt very much in awe. It felt familiar, but at the same time, like nothing I have ever seen or experienced before. Now that I've had time to reflect and think about that day, I see how it can be a spiritual experience for some. I think about how huge and perfect and impressive this arch is and wonder how anyone can believe that this Earth and the life on it was created by accident or just appeared out of nothing. It's just one more beautiful manifestation to me of how much my Heavenly Father loves me and wants me to experience things in this life to help me grow.

 

That night, we climbed in bed, hot and sweaty and I thought about all the amazing things I've been blessed with in this life. I've been blessed to find a handsome, loving man to spend eternity with, an amazing family that loves us both, a career that I've been studying a very long time for, and so many other things. If I continued listing them all, we'd be here all week...

The next morning, Cameron woke up and took our truck to the shop to be fixed and rode his bike back to our campsite. Sadly, that would be the only biking he even did in Moab which he was pretty disappointed about but we're planning another trip back to remedy that. We spent the morning lounging around, thinking about what else we wanted to do, and I took a very long nap [even if it was crazy hot outside and I woke up sweaty and gross].

After the truck was finished, we went for a drive up to the La Sal Mountains to get away from the heat. We pulled over because I needed to visit the port-a-potty. It rained and the wind blew and the thunder clapped and the lightening flashed, all while Cameron slept in the drivers seat of the truck and I listening to cows "moo" on the other side of a ridge. Once it started to pour, I woke Cameron up and we headed back to our campsite to make sure things were okay. Turns out, the wind was blowing in town, too. And we had left some windows on the trailer cracked. Which equated to a fine layer of red sand all over every single surface of the inside of the trailer. I'm just glad we'd purchased a broom earlier that day and figured out how to "ghetto mop" with water and paper towels... Classy, right?


Cam grilled us up some hot dogs and we ate inside our trailer and watched a show while the wind blew some more and it tried to rain. We went to bed to try and get a good sleep before we had to pack it all up and leave in the morning.

The next morning, the noisy scout leaders woke us up bright and early with their loud laughter, so we decided it'd be ok if we got going anyways and we were on the road before 8:30 that morning.
Once we got home, we had a family party with my mom's side of the family at my parents' house and it was great to see everyone again. [and eat my dad's food...]
Then we did fireworks with Cam's family for a little bit. The best part was watching Ava get so excited about all of it!

 

Happy Pioneeer Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment